Sunday, September 27, 2009

Paper Piecing



Today I thought I'd show you how easy it is to make a card using a technique called paper piecing. The girl stamps, such as Sweet Pea Stamps plate #9, are perfect for this since there need to be a bit of open spaces (not too much detail) to work.

What you need is a patterned paper that has small patterns. You stamp one full image on white paper and the details you want on the patterned paper. I wanted to make her dress patterned, but you could make her skirt in one pattern and blouse in one or even the hair. You can align the stamp so the dress gets the pattern you'd like. I stamped on the edge of my patterned paper where there were some pink dots (the final dress piece).


When you've stamped the image on the paper you cut it out inside of the black lines. Make sure it matches and looks good.



I wasn't sure which pattern to use so I cut out a dress piece in another pattern too.


Colour the rest of the image and colour a bit of the dress so there are no white parts showing through when you mount the patterned piece. I decided to use the brown part and cut out a belt from the other piece.


Glue the pieces on and tadaaa, the card is done! I used the same paper for the back of the text stamp as for the girl's dress.


Hope I've inspired you to try this technique and I'll see you next week.
/Katarina

1 comment:

  1. I love your technique - it's like playing paper dolls again.

    ReplyDelete