Monday, January 25, 2010

January Project of the Month: An Altered Tin

Today we are featuring our Project of the Month. On the fourth Monday of each month we hope to bring you a project that will inspire you to get stamping! Our first project was created by Chrissy - enjoy!


Let me show you how this ordinary tin can become a beautiful gift!!! It's easy!!!

I started with this tin that measures 4 1/4 x 3", and 3/4" deep. Using alcohol inks and a felt applicator I applied color to the top, sides, and bottom of the tin. I actually did this twice as sometimes the first application doesn't result in the textured look I was trying to achieve. There is no need to wait between applications since alcohol inks dry so fast. By the time I was finished with the first application I was able to start on the second application. I used sail boat blue, twilight purple, and silver inks.

To decorate the top of the tin I used one of the ching chou kuik images found on Sweet Pea plate #21. I stamped the image using India black ink onto a piece of glossy card stock that I had colored with various alcohol inks. After trimming the image I used a corner rounder and then edged it with blue Marvy Metallic Markers. I attached the image to the center of the top of the tin with double sided tape. I used silver glitter glue and glossy accents to embellish several areas of the image.



I attached some decorative metallic trim all around the edge of the top cover. I used red line tape to attach the trim so that it would hold up to someone opening and closing the tin.







Before finishing off the inside of the tin I applied alcohol ink to the sides of the top and bottom using a piece of felt. I just wanted to cover the silver with a little color.
I had some white glossy card stock that I colored with alcohol inks using the 'polished stone' technique. I traced the top of the tin on the glossy card stock, cut it out slightly smaller than the tracing marks, and taped it to the inside top. I have a bunch of vellum booklets that contain pre-printed sayings and words, so I chose this saying, tore it out of the booklet and attached to the inside top using vellum tape. I placed a dragonfly button embellishment inside the top using a couple of glue dots.
For the inside of the bottom of the tin, I cut a piece of background paper I had created using white glossy card stock, alcohol inks, and VersaMark ink. I had stamped onto the white glossy card stock using VersaMark, let dry or dry with a heat gun, and then apply alcohol inks with a felt applicator. To get the piece of card stock to fit the bottom of the tin I just placed the tin on top of the paper and traced around it. Then I cut it out slightly smaller than the tracing. I attached the piece with double sided tape. I tore the vellum piece that was pre-printed with "Dream" and taped that down using vellum tape.
And now it is ready to give away!!! Fill it with a few pieces of chocolate and it makes a great gift to give and a great gift to receive!

7 comments:

  1. This is a great project. I love the colors and the image fits nicely on it. Great job Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous project Chrissy. Makes me want to try it!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful!! The mystical/magical feel of this is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow gorgeous project !!! I really love this box, great idea, thanks for sharing.
    Hugs
    Mag :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissy, awesome project!!!!! I've got so many tins stashed, lol..... need to dig them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissy, this is such a beautiful project! :-)Traci

    ReplyDelete