Thursday, February 21, 2013

WATERCOLOURING OR .......


I used watercolouring pencils to colour this gorgeous stamp from Elisabeth Bell called STARR. For this stamp or any of the other Elisabeth Bell collections click here.



I coloured this some time ago and then decided I didn't like my colouring  - but having not seen it for some time I've quite forgotten why I didn't like it!  Maybe it's just a case of stepping back sometimes, working close up and personal you just start seeing mistakes and problems!

I do definitely remember having one disaster after another which probably added to my growing disatisfaction.   Having coloured the tail I decided I didn't like the effect so I covering with stickles glitter glue thinking that would add texture and subtly cover the colouring/colour!  Not so, once the image had dried I hated the stickles - it had dried flat and lifeless - so I scraped it all off.  

In removing the stickles with a knife the tail got damaged but I really like the distressed look - adding texture to the fin.  I had seen a Watercolour painter distressing his painting with a knife to achieve the surf on the water and also distressing rocks in the same way to add aging and texture - so idea was not completely my own!



I used liquid chalk for the sky and was unsure about the result achieved.  The fantasy hair colour was a new one for me and definitely took me out of my comfort zone.





I hope I have encouraged those of us out there who are very critical to go back and take another look at your projects - you may be surprised by want you see!

More information can be found on my blog here.

Best wishes,

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Sharon! She is lovely in purple and glad to see you back!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, I love purple and this is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that shimmer, the sparkly purple is wonderful. I love all the surrounding shades of purple as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very beautiful. Love the swirly leaf and papers and everything! Hugs Milo <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. so precious Sharon, love her sparkly tail! The colors are gorgeous, as well as your coloring

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, this is stunning! I love the purple and lilac colour scheme and wow, your colouring on the image is amazing! Can't imagine how you weren't happy with it! :lol:

    Her purple hair is gorgeous and her tail is incredible - it looks like it's made out of crystals! I love it!

    And so many pretty details on this card with those gorgeous papers and the die cut hearts and flourishes. Just beautiful - am so glad you went back to this! :)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Sharon! This is fantastic!
    I just loooove the sparkling on the mermaid tail. And all those great lilacs/purples you've added to the card!

    Hugs, Randi

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks great, Sharon. Love the sparkling tail and the colour choice of your card. Great embellishing too.
    Hugs, Karina

    ReplyDelete